Inlets Uplink overview¶
What's the difference between Inlets Pro and Inlets Uplink?
Inlets Pro is a stand-alone binary that can be use to expose local HTTPs and TCP services on a remote machine or network.
Inlets Uplink is a complete management solution for tunnels for SaaS companies and service providers. It's designed for scale, multi-tenancy and easy management.
Inlets Uplink is our answer to the question: "How do you access customer services from within your own product?"
You may consider building your own agent, using a AWS SQS queue, or a VPN.
The first two options involve considerable work both up front and in the long run. VPNs require firewall changes, specific network conditions, and lengthy paperwork.
Inlets Uplink uses a TLS encrypted websocket to make an outbound connection, and can also work over corporate HTTP proxies.
Here are some of the other differences between Inlets Pro and Inlets Uplink:
- The management solution is built-in, self-hosted and runs on your Kubernetes cluster
- You can create a tunnel almost instantly via CLI, REST API or the "Tunnel" Custom Resource
- The license is installed on the server, instead of each client needing it
- TCP ports can be remapped to avoid conflicts
- A single tunnel can expose HTTP and TCP at the same time
- All tunnels can be monitored centrally for reliability and usage
- By default all tunnels are private and only available for access by your own applications
With Uplink, you deploy tunnel servers for a customers to your Kubernetes cluster, and our operator takes care of everything else.
You can read more about why we created inlets uplink in the product announcement.
Table of Contents¶
- Become a provider
- Create a tunnel
- Connect to a tunnel
- Manage tunnels
- Expose tunnels publicly (optional)
- Monitor tunnels
You can reach out to us if you have questions: Contact the inlets team